Saturday, June 21, 2014

Dream of following the path of the setting sun that leads to El Dorado and the Mysterious Cities of Gold.

The Mysterious Cities of Gold is a show I remember seeing bits and pieces of when it was broadcast on Nickleodeon. The series was released on DVD and I ordered it based on my nostaligia and boy I'm glad I did!

A unique show, a French-written, Japanese animated story about a young Spanish boy brought to the New World by a group of conquistadors trying to find El Dorado. It feels sort of like an Indiana Jones story set in the 1500's with mild science fiction elements.

I'm happy and surprised at how well it holds up. The Spanish are portrayed as greedy and brutal, the Inca are portrayed in a sympathetic light. Tao, who looks like he would normally be the comedy relief is actually the smartest of the group, a descendant of the lost race of Hiva. The complicated feelings Esteban has for Mendoza (who is both a father-figure and a villain) is deeper than you would normally find in a kids show. I also appreciated that the children in the show were voiced by actual children, rather than adults. And the music is to die for.

The discs have a few extras. Nothing outstanding. I wish the video had been remastered. A couple of the episodes were noticeably darker than the rest. But really, the fact that the show has been released on DVD at all is a miracle. Highly, highly recommended. They don't make kids shows like this anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment