Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The pleasure/pain of the Cenobites and the law of diminishing returns...

Cursed to spend eternity as an obsolete format
I try to avoid horror movie series, or any movie series, really. An enjoyable and original movie is milked and repeated until every last remnant of what made the original good has been drained. But a friend has challenged me to watch all the Hellraiser films since they are currently available streaming on Netflix. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I've watched the first three. I'll watch the rest,

The first one (aka: 'the good one') is a genuine classic that I've seen numerous times and will watch again. I didn't bother watching it again for this run through.

The sequel, Hellbound, was a shadow of the first. But at least it retained some of the pretentious artiness of the first one.

But the third one, Hell on Earth was just awful, The movie was just bad. Also, Pinhead talks way too damn much and is emotional. He loses a lot of his menace. Honestly, he comes off like Freddy Kruger's brother. I don't think the people that made this one really 'got' what Clive Barker was trying to do with his movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment